Fifth Street Historic District, Lynchburg.
Lynchburg's Fifth Street Historic District, located southwest of the city’s central business area, arose
as an important African American business district during the latter 19th and early 20th centuries. In
the early 19th century the area developed as a gateway to the west with several taverns and
commercial establishments there. During the late 19th century, the Fifth Street corridor hosted
high-end residential neighborhoods for Lynchburg‘s white population while it was
also the primary scene of commerce for the area‘s African American community. The corridor also developed
as an automobile sales and service district of gas stations and garages, tire and auto parts stores,
and showrooms. The Fifth Street Historic District has a period of significance ranging from
1800 to 1964, beginning with the date of construction for the oldest standing resource
and concluding with the end of significant commercial expansion in the district.