Clifford-New Glasgow Historic District, Amherst County.
The Clifford-New Glasgow Historic District centers on the oldest existing settlement in Amherst County. With buildings
dating from circa 1772, the district is important for its early role as a regional commercial center. It developed
at the crossroads of the stage road between Charlottesville and Lynchburg and an east-west road running between
the James River and crossing over the Blue Ridge Mountains to Lexington. The village had several taverns,
retail stores, and the services of a saddler, a blacksmith, and a tobacco weigh station. The village also prospered
during the first half of the 20th century as a motorists’ stop along U.S. Route 29 (the old stage road)
with several gas stations, stores, and an auto repair garage. In the mid-20th century after the
Route 29 bypass was constructed, many of the village’s businesses moved or closed. The district’s period of
significance extends from circa 1772 to 1961, during the time when Clifford served as a commercial center
for stage coaches, then automobiles. Its buildings reflect that heritage.