Old Denton, Fauquier Co.
Old Denton was built circa 1860 by James H. Hathaway, who constructed the house in front of his father-in-law's
ca.-1820 vernacular brick dwelling (bottom right). These two dwellings, along with a ca.-1860 meat house,
form the historic
core of the 58-acre property. Additional development occurred in the first half of the 20th century when
Young family constructed a stable and tenant house to the west of the main dwelling. The Greek Revival
and Italianate styles of Old Denton's main dwelling shows the continuing influence of architectural
pattern books in late-antebellum Virginia. Old Denton today retains its historic integrity of materials,
design, setting, and craftsmanship.