Virginia State SealDHR logo

          Photos

Belmont M. E. Church, Roanoke

Locally significant for its outstanding architecture, the Belmont Methodist Episcopal Church, completed in 1921, is among Roanoke’s most significant Protestant churches dating to the first quarter of the 20th century, and stands today as an important part of the historic Belmont Neighborhood in the city’s southeast quadrant. The church, designed by noted Virginia architects Herbert L. Cain and Homer M. Miller, remains in excellent condition, with few modifications to the original building. Sited on a corner lot along a major thoroughfare, the imposing church building is a highly visible and easily recognizable architectural landmark which incorporates an extensive array of Gothic Revival-design elements, superior workmanship, and durable, high quality building materials.