Virginia State SealDHR logo
              
               Photos  

Captain Timothy Hill House, Accomack Co.

Built circa 1800, the Hill House may be the oldest remaining house on Chincoteague Island; it's one of the few houses remaining in Virginia that once had a wood chimney. A rare example of log plank construction, the house retains its original pit sawn and hewn pine planks with full dovetail joints. The majority of the interior first- and second-level floorboards are historic, along with one of the exterior doors, which may be original and retains vestiges of 21 layers of paint. Carved on the exterior side of the planks are several dozen images of 19th-century sailing vessels. The interior has an original early-to-mid 19th-century mantel and a door to the garret stairs with a substantial amount of intact paint.
   Relocated in 2009 so as to avoid demolition, the house today it is situated within a mile of its original site, in a remarkably similar setting. Hill, who died in 1859, was the house's most notable occupant and also the owner who completed the house to a point best represented by its current style and detailing. Oral history has it that Captain Hill shipwrecked on the “levels” of Assateague Island. After making his way to Chincoteague, he made the island his home. An Accomack County deed records his purchase of 30 acres for $133 on Chincoteague Island on April 22, 1822.