Virginia State SealDHR logo
Louisa High School, Louisa Co.

The first Louisa County High School was built in 1907, soon after Virginia enacted the Mann High School Act in 1906, which provided state matching funds to communities for school construction. Louisa was among the first counties in the state to take advantage of these matching funds. By 1910, the school also had a “normal department” or teacher training program, after legislation in 1908 provided for the creation of normal departments in established high schools, which could then offer a year of instruction for high school students interested in teaching.
   Constructed of granite ashlar and initially a one-story building, the school was expanded circa 1916 with the addition of a second story and an auditorium wing at the building's rear. After a fire in 1924, the school was rebuilt and reopened the following year. Originally, the school served students in grades one through eleven. Architect Charles M. Robinson designed the school, one of dozens of school buildings throughout Virginia for which he was the prime architect.
   In 1940, the county consolidated its three high schools, and the former high school became Louisa Elementary School and served as such until 1987. The recent restoration of the building for use as a town hall will allow it to serve the community for many additional years.



 Photo


Photo