Virginia State SealDHR logo
Mount Pleasant, Shenandoah Co.

Locally significant for its strong Federal-style architecture, Mount Pleasant is a handsome house with limestone foundation, constructed in 1812 on a bluff above Cedar Creek three miles northeast of Strasburg. A limestone wing of the house likely dates to circa 1790. Except for the addition around 1930 of two screen porches, the exterior of the house is little changed from its original construction, although the front and rear entrances were reversed, also circa 1930, to conform to a change in the access road to the house. The interior retains its original layout and exceptionally fine woodwork. In addition to the main house, the 107-acre property contains six other surviving historic buildings: a circa-1812 brick smokehouse; a circa-1930 brick garage with an apartment; a large frame bank barn with forebay, constructed between 1890 and 1900; a 1920 tenant house and a tenant-house garage; and a circa-1920 frame wagon shed/corncrib.
   Mount Pleasant was constructed by Lt. Isaac Bowman (1757-1826), a veteran of the Revolutionary War and the Indian wars in the West. Isaac was a scion of the pioneering Shenandoah Valley Bowman family and a grandson of Jost Hite, who is credited with having brought the first groups of European settlers from the Rhine River region to the northern Shenandoah Valley.
 Photos