Virginia State SealDHR logo

Toms Brook School, Shenandoah Co.

Constructed between 1935 and 1936, Toms Brook School was designed by Luray architect James R. Mims. The school is locally significant for its Colonial Revival style and unusual layout which features a main entry leading to an auditorium that occupies half of the floor space with a corridor and classrooms lining the other half. During the first half of the 1930s, Shenandoah County undertook a construction campaign to replace older and damaged schoolhouses with new buildings; Toms Brook School, which has served as both an elementary and high school at different periods, was the last school built under this program. Architect Mims later designed a cafeteria for the school that was completed in 1952.
   Today the building retains the integrity of its historic location, association, setting, feeling, design, materials, and workmanship. The period of significance begins with its 1935 date of construction and ends in 1952, the year the cafeteria was added.
 


Photos