Fire Station No. 5, Roanoke.
Fire Station No.5 was constructed in 1911, only five years after the
City of Roanoke had hired its first paid firefighters.
No. 5 was
one of three stations constructed and opened that year in the city’s
expanding residential neighborhoods. All three buildings were nearly
identical in their house-like designs in response to public concerns that
new firehouses be architecturally compatible with neighboring houses.
The design of the new stations also accommodated newly purchased
fire trucks that were the city’s first ones
powered by internal combustion engines, putting Roanoke “in the front
ranks of Virginia for fire protection,” according to city historian
Station No. 5 operated as a firehouse until
June 2010, after which the city granted the building to Que House, Inc.,
a locally-based non-profit charitable organization.