Freeman Store, Fairfax County.
Built in 1859, the Freeman Store, in Vienna, was strategically located at the
intersection of busy Georgetown / Old Courthouse Road and the newly laid tracks
Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad. Constructed on a stone foundation,
large two-story store and residence was separated from the rail line by a creek,
spanned by a pedestrian bridge. Eventually the Washington &
Old Dominion Rail Road operated the line, offering passenger service
to Vienna until 1951, freight service until 1968. Leon Lydecker
Freeman, the county‘s first Republican delegate to the Virginia
General Assembly after the Civil War, ran the store from 1906
In the mid 1970s, the town restored the building to resemble its
appearance in two Civil War-era photographs (here's
one). Today Historic Vienna, Inc. operates the first
floor as a restored general store and post office with interpretive exhibits; on the
second floor is a museum and office space. The W. & O.D. rail bed is now a 45-mile hiking-biking trail.