Virginia State SealDHR logo

    Five photos

Three Chopt Road Historict District, Richmond

This historic district encompasses a remarkable group of large architect-designed houses and churches that arose along a 1.3-mile stretch of the city's Three Chopt Road after the completion of the Westhampton Park streetcar line in 1901. The streetcar, which linked downtown Richmond with Westhampton Amusement Park, traveled along Three Chopt Road. The neighborhood grew through the first half of the 20th century. In contrast to most street car suburbs of its day typically laid out in street grids, the Three Chopt Road district developed as residential clusters along the historic colonial-era roadway and near to two streetcar stops.
   Today’s district features some of Richmond’s finest residential architecture, executed by notable architects such as W. Duncan Lee, Noland and Baskervill, Charles Neff and his firm, Neff and Thompson, Frank R. Watson, Edkins and Thompson, Lindner and Phillips, Clarence Huff, Gleeson & Mulrooney, and Edward Holland. Charles Gillete, Virginia’s premier landscape architect, designed a few landscapes and gardens in the district. New York landscape architect, Alice Recknagel Ireys, also designed at least one particularly sophisticated garden in the district.