Virginia State SealDHR logo
                 Four photos

Riverlawn, Mathews County

This property is locally significant for its association with community leader and businessman John J. Burke III, who resided here with his wife, Clara, from 1917 to 1931. Largely unaltered since 1931, Riverlawn was constructed in 1874 by Heron Campbell Murray and his wife, Cordelia Williams Murray, who contributed to the growth of the local community after the Civil War when they helped to build the B. Williams & Co. Store in 1870 at Williams' Wharf. During the 20th century, while J. J. Burke lived here, he was active in local and regional finance and politics, and served as director of the Bank of Mathews and publisher of the Mathews Journal. Riverlawn is also locally significant as an embodiment of a large and well-proportioned 1870s simplified Federal/Colonial Revival-style dwelling with sensitive updates in the 1920s and 1950s.