Virginia State SealDHR logo

               Four Photos

Shockoe Slip Historic District, Boundary Increase, Richmond

The expansion of the Shockoe Slip HD captures five buildings of late-19th and early-20th-century construction that share the history and significance of the original historic district, which was listed in the state and national registers in 1971. (The district was expanded in 1983 and 2005.) The two oldest buildings in the 2012 expansion, constructed ca. 1886, operated as the Old Dominion Tobacco Warehouse and Stemmery. By 1924 these two warehouses and two other warehouses in the expansion area were occupied by the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. The fifth building in the expansion is a hydroelectric power plant built by the Virginia Passenger & Power Company circa 1898 to run the city’s streetcars. The district expansion also includes the 1898 Haxall Canal and an 1860 stone-paved bridge and section of 13th Street that linked the expansion area to Shockoe Slip.