Virginia State SealDHR logo

Photos

Cannon Memorial Chapel, University of Richmond.

Although the University of Richmond never fully realized Ralph Adam Cramís original Collegiate Gothic campus plan after it settled into its new location in 1914, Cram's architectural sensibilities have influenced the universityís development to the present day. Nowhere is that influence more evident than in Cannon Memorial Chapel, constructed in 1929, and designed in the Late Gothic Revival style by Charles M. Robinson, a prominent Virginia architect who designed many of Virginiaís public schools and buildings at todayís James Madison University and the College of William and Mary. Recalling URís character as a denominational institution, the chapel features a large interior nave with a soaring vaulted ceiling and arched stain glass windows along the clearstory. A rose window is set above the entrance, opposite the chapelís altar end. The exterior is constructed of brick and stone and cast concrete pinnacles.