Virginia State SealDHR logo

Photos

Daniel Morgan House, Winchester.

The earliest part of this Winchester house is timber frame, constructed in 1786 for merchant George Flowerdew Norton. Later owned by Daniel Morgan, a Revolutionary War general who lived there until his death in 1802, the house underwent successive expansions around 1800, 1820, 1885, and 1915, eventually resulting in a late Georgian-style 17-room residence. The house served as a hospital during the Civil War, and in 1865 owner Eleanor Boyd convened a group of local women there to designate June 6 as Confederate Memorial Day. They also developed plans for the city’s Confederate cemetery. In the latter part of the 19th century, the back ell of the house was used for a school. Its students included the future Admiral Richard E. Byrd and Governor and Senator Harry F. Byrd, Sr.