Virginia State SealDHR logo

Photos

Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station, Roanoke.

Long identified with Roanoke’s economic growth since establishing its corporate headquarters in the city in 1882, the Norfolk & Western Railway (now Norfolk-Southern) built the N&W Railway Freight Station between 1916 and 1918. When opened, the freight station replaced several older depots to handle N&W’s growing freight traffic. The station also included an annex for its freight accounting and billing staff. The station ceased operations as a hub for freight in 1964. Today the N&W Railway Freight Station houses the Virginia Museum of Transportation.