Virginia State SealDHR logo

Photos and Illustration

Carlin's Amoco Station, Roanoke.

Built around 1947 in the “iced-box” style originated by Texaco, Carlin’s Amoco Station was remodeled in 1953 by the American Oil Company (Amoco) into a “stylized-box” design by adding Streamlined Moderne features such as rounded corners and vertical strips of glass block backlit by green neon tubing. The building represents the aggressive effort oil companies took, beginning in the 1930s, to market and sell their products through service stations that promoted individual corporate identity and brands. Based on a company prototype, Carlin’s Amoco conveyed a sense of efficiency, cleanliness, and dependable service. The building also illustrates the rise of automobile-related services and goods during the mid-20th-century along one of Roanoke’s main thoroughfares, U.S. 11/Williamson Rd. (The building was listed in conjunction with a "Historic Gas Stations of Roanoke Multiple Property Document.")