Virginia Department of Historic Resources

Photos

St. James Church, Albemarle Co.

Constructed in 1896, the Gothic Revival-style St. James Church is remarkably well preserved. Never altered by the later installation of plumbing or electricity, the building’s notable features include arched windows and transom, wainscoting, and original pews. Long associated with the locally prominent Garth family, many of whose family members are buried in the church's two cemeteries, St. James Church is still owned and maintained by Garth family descendants through the Trustees of St. James Church.