The Flat Gap High School building, which now serves as the Flat Gap Community Center,
was designed by architect Thomas M. Pepper and constructed in 1935 and 1936 by the
Virginia School Board of Education. It was among the first high schools in
Wise County. Because it was built in a sparsely populated rural area, it is smaller in
scale than most high schools of its day, measuring about 150 feet by 65 feet.
A planned gymnasium-auditorium wing was never constructed.