Virginia State SealDHR logo


By the turn of the 20th century, the tavern buildings were being used as a boarding house and second hand shop. The owners were uninterested in maintaining the buildings and considered demolishing them.
   Recognizing the site's significance, local American Legion Post #24 purchased the buildings in August, 1929 and opened them as a museum focusing on Alexandria’s importance in American history.

(Photo courtesy of the Alexandria Library, Special Collections)