Virginia State SealDHR logo


The 1824 Courthouse:

Taken sometime in the 1880s or 1890s, this image shows the 1824 courthouse. The building featured Flemish-bond brickwork and a pedimented-gable roof and the two-story portico with Doric columns pictured here. (The portico had a flat roof, extending from under the pediment.) Note the second-story main entrance accessed by steps at each end of the portico. One wonders, what occassioned the activity pictured here? During the late 19th century, there would have been often necessary personal business to conduct at the courthouse, regular court sessions or trials to attend, as well as auctions, political rallies, speeches, or a host of other events from time to time.