Virginia State SealDHR logo


The Restored 1929 Courthouse.

In 2010, a dream came to fruition when the MartinsvilleHenry County Historical Society announced completion of its restoration project, thanks to grants from Save America’s Treasures and the local Harvest Foundation. In partnership with the county and "cooperative subcontractors and dedicated volunteers," M-HCHS reported that the project, originally estimated at more than $1 million, "was accomplished for less than $200,000." In July 2010, Henry County deeded the courthouse to the society. The restored building now houses a Heritage Center & Museum, the historical society, and an information center for the New College Institute.
   Noteworthy alterations to the courthouse square during the latter quarter of the 20th century, evident in this photo, include the relocation of the cannons to the green, the installation of brick walkways and flagpoles in 1976, and the placement of a monument, dedicated in 1985, to honor veterans of America's wars.