Virginia State SealDHR logo


Zenda's Schoolhouse:

Initially Longs Chapel doubled as a school for the community's children. It served as a training ground for legendary local educator Lucy Simms, who spent the first year, likely 1877, of her career at the Longs Chapel school. By 1882, Zenda's educational activity moved to a new purpose-built segregated public schoolhouse. The unidentified teacher in this photo stands with her pupils outside the later Zenda school, constructed near the chapel. The photo's date is unknown. The school building is gone.