Virginia State SealDHR logo


Rippon in 20th Century.

By the late 19th century Rippon Lodge was no longer owned by the Blackburn family. In 1924, Judge Wade Ellis and his wife Dessie, frequent visitors to the Woodbridge area, bought Rippon Lodge and 300 acres as a weekend retreat from their main residence in Washington DC, where Ellis served on the circuit court. This image shows the house as it appeared around the time the Ellises purchased the property, relatively unchanged since the early 1800s, with six rooms on the main level and an open loft space in the second story. Genealogical research showed that Judge Ellis was a Blackburn family descendent, thus returning the home to the Blackburn family.