Virginia State SealDHR logo
Foster Falls furnace workers are pictured here. In 1890, the American Iron and Steel Institute described the Fosters Falls Mining and Manufacturing Company as, "One stack, 35 x 8, built in 1881; open top; cold blast; water-power; ore, local hematite; product, car-wheel pig iron; annual capacity, 2,500 tons. Brand 'Foster's Falls'." (Undated photo, courtesy of Chuck Vaughan. On the original photo's backside it states: "On top, and from left to right Crig Melton[,] James Mahone, Jim Lovell and Payton Keith. At [b]ottom and from left to right Byram Crockett, Robert Midkiff[,] John Vaughan[,] Jack Pawley[,] Bob Nelson and Will Vaughan & Fred Mahone. At the tank is engine 166 there in service on the mountain run. But later burned up in a fire that destroyed the engine house.")