Virginia State SealDHR logo
plan    phot
(Click on image for larger version)
Four-Teacher Plan, Dry Bridge School, Martinsville.

The Dry Bridge School exemplifies a four-teacher plan school, as shown here. Construction began in 1928 and was completed by 1930. The Rosenwald Fund provided $1,200 towards the ultimate cost of $7,800 for the school, which opened in 1929 and closed in the late 1960s.

Former students recall the strict discipline and strength of community that promoted the importance of education.

(Photo: Mike Pulice, DHR, 2008.)