Virginia State SealDHR logo
  
   Photos

Community House's Two Rooms.

The 1912 room (left) has oak floors installed in 1995 to replace linoleum flooring that covered the original variable tongue-and-groove floor boards. The room has its original interior walls and most of its original vertical-board wainscoting and dado rail, as well as the window's original molded casing. In 1935, the room was converted from a classroom into a kitchen.
   The inside of the 1884 great room (right) retains most of its original building material. The roomís walls have vertical-board wainscoting, with initials carved into it here and there, and dado rail. Most of the horizontally-laid beaded paneling is original, although newer paneling was installed in 1935 to replace the classroom's blackboards. The room's doors and windows retain the original plain trim. Picture-rail molding runs the perimeter of the room. The floor, however, is tongue-in-groove maple that in 1950 replaced the original floor of rough-hewn boards, which had cracks between them large enough for a penny to fall through, according to a former student.  (Photos:Carol Cross, 2009)