The state historical marker “Apprentice School” will be dedicated during a ceremony at The Apprentice School’s gymnasium. The Apprentice School is located at 3101 Washington Ave., in Newport News.
The marker recalls that the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, founded in 1886, had an informal apprentice training program in place by the 1890s and established a formal training school in 1919 for shipbuilding trades. One of the nation’s foremost builders of military and commercial ships, the company’s school emphasizes craftsmanship, scholarship, and leadership, and operates today, having graduated more than 10,000 students.
Updated June 18, 2019