For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/20/1981
This is one of Charlottesville’s few surviving 18th century buildings. The first house was built by Nicholas Meriwether about 1735. Sometime before the Revolution the house burned and Col. Nicholas Lewis, grandson and heir of Meriwether, built the present one. It stands on land patented by the builder’s grandfather in 1735. Both the Lewisses and Meriweathers are among the area’s most prominent families. Colonel Banastre Tarleton had his headquarters there at the time of his raid on Charlottesville on June 4, 1781. This structure is an example of the vernacular, utilitarian architecture which was built when Albemarle County was still in its early stages of growth.
[VLR Listed Only]
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the City’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760’s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the City’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. The Nicholas Lewis House was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated November 28, 2018