Virginia State SealDHR logo

     Historic photo

An early addition to the T-shaped house plan extended the building to the south. In this late 19th-century image the separation between the original house and the addition is seen in the widening of the belt course near the west door, consisting of the right-most two bays. This was likely constructed during the ownership of Nathaniel Burwell (1710-1721). On the eastern fašade this same addition shows three bays (see this image). (Courtesy of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation)