Henry County Courthouse, Martinsville, Slide Show

Virginia State SealDHR logo

    Photos

Preserving the Courthouse.

In 1996, Henry County relocated its courts to a new courthouse, leaving its historic court buiding to an uncertain future. (The county's administrative offices had already relocated in the 1970s.) 

 

A new life for the courthouse took shape, however, beginning in 1996, when the MartinsvilleHenry County Historical Society was founded and set as one of its first goals the restoration and preservation of the building.

 

From 1996 through 2010, the historical society worked diligently in phases to restore the courthouse building and re-purpose it for the community. 

 

Along the way, funding for the court-house's restoration was provided by HUD, the Harvest Foundation, and, significantly, a Save America's Treasures grant in 2008. 

 

These photos from 1998 depict the courthouse during its vacant, interim years. The 1939 addition to the rear of the courthouse is visible in the bottom photo, far right.