Virginia State SealDHR logo


The 1929 Courthouse:

By the 1940s, matured vegetation enveloped a substantially remodeled courthouse. The 1929 remodeling enlarged and encased the 1824 building with new two-story brick, hip-roof side wings of increased height. The project also extended the pedimented gable roof over the portico and removed the exterior stairs. Ten years later, in 1939, the construction of a large addition (removed in 2004) on the building's rear also changed the courthouse's appearance. Summarizing the transformation of the 1824 building, a DHR architectural historian noted in 1992 that the courthouse "would not be easily recognized by a person who knew it in 1835."