Vale School-Community House, Fairfax Co., Slideshow

Virginia State SealDHR logo
Community House, 1940s.

The Community House continued to serve the Vale area throughout the 1940s, hosting activities such as community sings, oyster suppers, ice cream socials, and other events that entire families could enjoy together throughout the year.

Top: Families gather for a meal in the 1912 addition, which was repurposed in the 1930s to serve as a kitchen.

Bottom (L-R): A specialist from Sweden is welcomed to an electrical repair clinic in 1947; and a 1941 furniture refinishing clinic.

(Photos courtesy of Dominy Family (top), Virginia Tech Digital Library and Archives (left), and Fairfax Co. Public Library.)

Photos