Located in Augusta County, south of the city of Staunton and near the village of Middlebrook, Dutch Hollow Hanger Cemetery contains the graves of some of the first German immigrant settlers to inhabit the community known as Dutch Hollow and the surrounding area in the early to mid-1700s. The earliest known burial dates to 1798, with the last known burial dating to 1919. Collectively, the cemetery’s grave markers are a significant display of funerary art, with headstones that include improved fieldstones, fashioned limestone, local sandstone, shaped markers inscribed in Germanic script, and marble markers made by known artisan marble-cutters. Noted local marble cutters include Alfred Paul Viquesney, from Rockingham County and James C. Marcus from nearby Staunton. Other artisans whose work is found in Dutch Hollow Hanger Cemetery include A.E. Smenner and A.H. Amick, both of Cumberland, Maryland. The work of these artisans included motifs such as foliated carving, folk symbols, including the seven-pointed star and five petal blossoms associated with Germanic folk culture.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark