Completed in 1828, the large two-story, Federal-style brick Anderson House overlooks Catawba Creek in mountainous western Botetourt County. In 1840, Dr. William Neely Anderson (1806-1868), an 1826 graduate of the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, bought the house and 290 acres from his uncle, Robert Anderson, Jr. Notable for its well-preserved state, the Anderson House property includes the site of a former millpond where Robert Anderson operated a sawmill. The business serviced the prosperous Brunswick Forge. The central-passage plan house features fine brick work, elaborate geometrically ornamented mantels with paneled friezes, and winder stairs. The Anderson house resembles many built in the region in the second quarter of the 19th century. An early-19th-century meathouse and an early-20th-century barn complement the property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark