This rural district incorporates the Oatlands estate and several associated historic properties. At the southern end, along Goose Creek, is the site of Oatlands Mills, a milling complex established by George Carter of Oatlands in the early 19th century. The large mill was destroyed in 1905, leaving today only a small ruin and extensive archaeological remains. Surviving from the village of Oatlands nearby are several houses and the Episcopal Church of Our Savior, a simple brick structure erected in 1878. A later parish hall stands next to it. At the northern end of the district, on U.S. Route 15, is the Mountain Gap School, the county’s last operating one-room school when it closed in 1953. Most of the property in the historic district is protected by preservation easements or is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark