Old Welbourne in Loudoun County is an impressive circa-1878 manor house originally built in the Queen Anne style and remodeled in the Colonial Revival style in 1910. Established in 1812, Old Welbourne since 1840 has continually hosted the Piedmont Fox Hounds, partaking of the area’s foxhunting tradition that emerged as a farmer’s pastime before evolving into a more formalized social event. The 164-acre Old Welbourne Farm and Dulany Family Cemetery property contains the ruins of the original 1812 home site, a family cemetery, and the stone ruins of an early-19th-century bank barn and retaining wall, a circa-1878 farm building located to the rear of the current house, and a circa-1910 frame tenant house. Historic structures include an 1812 roadbed and a circa-1837 stone springhouse-dairy.
In early 2014, additional research was conducted to yield additional information regarding agricultural activities at Old Welbourne Farm and Dulany Family Cemetery. This information adds to the justification of the property’s significance under Criterion A in the area of Agriculture.
[NRHP Approved: 6/26/2014]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark