Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

078-0059 Meadow Grove Farm

Meadow Grove Farm
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/08/2006

NRHP Listing Date 09/05/2006

NPS property number 06000803

Over 364 acres of rolling hills and pastures surround Meadow Grove Farm in Rappahannock County. The highly evolved main house began as a one-and-one-half-story log building, circa 1820. Two two-story frame additions were added in 1860 and 1881, the first being executed in Greek Revival style. In 1965, the 1881 section was demolished due to instability, then rebuilt, and the original log section was encased in brick. The property was involved in 18th-century land transfers from Lord Fairfax, and has been in the Jones and Massie families since 1797. It is highly significant, as it embodies the evolution of a self-sustaining early 19th-century plantation into an income-producing 20th-century livestock farm. Many of the property’s 19th-century outbuildings remain, including a log slave quarters–tenant house, a schoolhouse, summer kitchen, and the former sites of granaries and the present schoolhouse. A cemetery contains markers for nine members of the Massie family, the earliest dating from 1908 and the latest from 2005.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated September 3, 2018