Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

078-5078 George L. Carder House

George L. Carder House
Photo credit: David Edwards/DHR, 2022

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/17/2004

NRHP Listing Date 12/14/2004

NRHP Reference Number 04000715

The George L. Carder House is a Federal-style, two-story brick house, built about 1833. Constructed on land owned by George L. Carder, the house was built for a prosperous middling Rappahannock County farming family. The documentary history associated with the Carder House has much to say about the organization of prosperous but unpretentious Virginia households and farms of the antebellum period and after. The Carder family’s apparent determination to sustain their livelihood without owning slaves, however, distinguishes them from most of their neighbors and is implied by choices they made when planning and building their house. Two of the notable design components of the house include a two-door fa├žade, which offered independent and selective access to the two principal rooms, and an original kitchen built into the cellar. Significant auxiliary buildings on the George L. Carder House property include a one-room log dwelling, a log shed, and a wood-framed barn. Now known as Boxwood Hill, the Carder House property was, at its largest, a 300 acre farm, and at the time of its listing in the registers, it was just under 4 acres in size.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark


Updated: May 16, 2022