Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

033-0022 Hook-Powell-Moorman Farm

Hook-Powell-Moorman Farm
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/01/2028

NRHP Listing Date 07/21/1995

NPS property number 95000893

Near Hales Ford on the Lynchburg-Rocky Mount Turnpike, this plantation was settled in 1784 by John Hook, a Scottish-born merchant who built the vernacular Georgian structure here that served as his store. The core of the present farmhouse was his residence. Hook sold a wide variety of items among which were quality goods and books, an indication of a relatively sophisticated clientele for this back country. A savvy businessman, Hook at his death in 1808 possessed an estimated 40,000 acres and 110 slaves. The store building was moved across the turnpike and placed adjacent to an outdoor kitchen and slave quarters around 1855 when the next owner, Llewellyn H. Powell, remodeled the Hook’s dwelling into in a country Greek Revival farmhouse. Dr. John A. Moorman purchased the property in 1879 and soon added an attached kitchen. His office and dispensary were added ca. 1890.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018