Originally known as Hayfield, Belle-Hampton was the Pulaski County home of agricultural and industrial promoter James Hoge Tyler, who served as governor of Virginia from 1898-1902. The property was settled in the 18th century by Tyler’s ancestors. The original part of the present house, a substantial brick dwelling, was built in 1826 for Tyler’s grandfather, James Hoge, Jr. from whom Tyler inherited the property. Although active in politics, Tyler made a considerable fortune through exploitation of a coal seam on the family homeplace. The mining profits enabled Tyler in 1879 to front the house with a large Italianate-style extension topped with a bold bracketed cornice. The resulting dwelling is an interesting juxtaposition of two architectural traditions. Renamed Belle-Hampton by Tyler, the property was owned by his descendants at the time of its listing in the registers. Among the outbuildings is a commissary built to serve the mining enterprise.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark