Cedar Hill is one of a group of prosperous farms established during the 18th century in the countryside east of Lexington. The present house, a formal five-bay brick dwelling, was completed in 1821 for James Templeton. Situated on a ridge adjacent to the “Great Road,” a historic trail paralleling the Maury River, the house commands panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. In 1827 the property was purchased by Galbreath Hamilton, whose son, A. J. Hamilton, gained the dubious distinction of being the first cadet to desert the Virginia Military Institute. The house is significant for its well-finished and little-altered condition. The interior retains original six-paneled doors and paneled wainscoting. The mantels are embellished with Valley-style gouge-work decoration. On the property are two early log outbuildings and a stone springhouse.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark