The Taylor-Kinnear Farm in Rockbridge County centers on a two-story brick house detailed in the Federal style and built for David Taylor Sr. in about 1820. The house was acquired in 1849 by John A. Kinnear, whose descendants owned the property into the 21st century. Expanded several times in the late 1800s and early 1900s, the Taylor-Kinnear House has many original and modern architectural features of note, including Federal-influenced fireplace mantels, extensive faux graining, unusual stamped decorative painting, a stone foundation, and a wraparound one-story porch. An addition built around the turn of the 20th century reoriented the house toward the road, giving it two facades, and added a stair with decorative carved and turned woodwork. The property also has a timber-framed barn and an unusually large granary building dating to the early 20th century. The Taylor-Kinnear Farm is historically significant for the quality and diversity of its architectural resources and its excellent state of preservation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark