St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Westmoreland County is a Gothic Revival brick building that has been in continuous use since its construction in 1848–1849. The rear addition of 1860 includes a vestry room. It was at this time that the Agnus Dei stained-glass window was added and the pulpits and chancel were changed to their present form, all from plans drawn by Dr. William Wirt. The exposed cross-beamed ceiling and roof were constructed in 1882–1883. Stained-glass windows were also installed then, and the two doors opening from the vestibule to two aisles in the nave were changed to the present single-entry door and center aisle. These changes formed a Gothic gable front with finished moldings and brackets. Norris & Garner, builders and contractors from St. Mary’s County, Maryland, performed this work on the church. St. Peter’s Episcopal Church was gutted by fire in December of 2023.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark