Richmond’s Robert Fulton School was built in 1917 in response to growing residential development in the city’s Fulton Hill neighborhood and as part of a major public school construction program initiated by Richmond School Superintendent Dr. J.A.C. Chandler. Designed by William Leigh Carneal, an architect of considerable importance in Virginia, the two-story school, with a four-column portico main entrance, sits atop Fulton Hill, making it visible from many vantage points in the city. The school’s name honors inventor Robert Fulton and the surrounding community, which derives its name from the once-prominent Fulton family.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark