The St. Luke’s Episcopal Church is one of six remaining churches built before 1850 in Amherst County, as well as one the few remaining historic buildings associated with the Pedlar Mills village. The modest brick Greek Revival-style church was constructed around 1837. In 1926 an imposing portico with a simple, pedimented gable supported by columns was added to the church. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church is one of two Greek Revival-style churches in the county. The interior exhibits a combination of Greek Revival and Gothic Revival ornamentation, revealing the building’s evolution from construction through an 1871 renovation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark