Dameron Cottage is a rare example of a Rustic Revival style dwelling in Amherst County. The cottage is located about one mile south of the courthouse in the Town of Amherst. Dameron Cottage was constructed around 1890 by Archey and William Cullen Bibby — two African American siblings. The Bibby brothers constructed a single pen log building with a stone fireplace. Their use of the building remains unknown. Archey Bibby died before 1912, and his heirs along with William sold the property to George L. Dameron. Dameron added a second pen to the southern end of the original cabin. In 1928, Joyner T. Dameron, Sr. acquired, remodeled, and enlarged the house using the Rustic Revival style. His son, Joyner T. Dameron, Jr. and wife, Lois, inherited and relocated to the house after the death of Dameron, Sr. in 1956 and were the last of the Dameron family to occupy it. The Rustic Revival style was popular in the Western United States and the National Parks during the late 19th Century, and was influenced by the Adirondack movement in New York. The Rustic style of Dameron Cottage includes exposed log walls on the interior and exterior. The interior also features batten doors and rustic hardware, simple square newel posts and balusters of the stair rail, and a simple door and window trim. Most of the house retains original wood flooring. The surrounding landscape includes a nearby creek and the yard features mature hardwoods and pines. Notably, a magnolia tree—cultivated from a seed by Lois Dameron— is located at the northwest corner of the house.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark