The Homestead Dairy Barns complex was built by the Virginia Hot Springs Company in 1928 just outside of the village of Warm Springs to support the operations of the nearby Homestead resort. The seven buildings of the complex display elements of both the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles in appearance and detail, and are arranged in a manner reflective of dairying practices in the second quarter of the 20th century. The complex is anchored by the main barn, with its attached, tiled, double silos. Radiating outward are a bottling building, milking barn, calving barn, and ham house. A herdsman’s cottage and bull barn are located on the other side of the main farm road. All of the buildings are predominantly clad in stucco, and the trim on each building is painted dark green, producing a visually striking and cohesive grouping. The Homestead resort catered primarily to wealthy American aristocrats who came to “take the waters,” or imbibe the spring water commonly thought to have curative properties. The dairy ceased operation in the 1970s, when government regulations and operating costs became prohibitive. While in operation, the complex’s appearance contributed to the idealized landscape created by the resort’s owners.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark