For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/19/2009
NRHP Listing Date 05/21/2009
NRHP Reference Number 09000335
The Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse occupies a site on the Woodlawn Tract purchased in 1846 by Delaware Valley Quakers for division into small farms. The symbolism of the Woodlawn lands, including its association with George Washington, was important to the Quaker purchasers, who, as both pacifists and opponents of slavery, planned for their success at farming to demonstrate their anti-slavery message. The one-story, wood frame building embodies the distinctive characteristics of a vernacular form of Quaker Plain style in the tradition of the Woodlawn settlers’ meeting houses in the Delaware Valley. Built as a single cell in 1851- 53 and doubled in 1869, the modest Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse retains its historic character, featuring original windows, siding, trim, floor plan, interior partitions, and traditionally crafted benches. An associated burial ground containing the graves of the settlement’s founders is found to the east.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 27, 2022