For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 11/05/1968
NRHP Listing Date 11/22/1968
NHL Listing Date 08/11/1969
NPS property number 68000049
The contrasting qualities of elegance, domesticity, and remoteness, all characteristic of Virginia’s colonial plantation life, are keenly felt at Tuckahoe. The plantation was one of several established by William Randolph of Turkey Island for his sons. His second son, Thomas, probably built the north wing by 1723. The south wing, connecting saloon, and carved woodwork were most likely added by Thomas’s son, William Randolph, following his marriage in 1734 to Maria Judith Page of Rosewell. The woodwork is colonial artistry at its best. North of the house is a row of early outbuildings forming a rare plantation “street.” The tiny schoolhouse is where Thomas Jefferson attended classes when his parents, Peter and Jane Randolph Jefferson, were at Tuckahoe. Tuckahoe remained in the Randolph family until 1830. In 1935 it was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. N. Addison Baker, whose descendants live there today.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated February 15, 2019